The Environmental Management System (EMS) requires organizations to:
- conduct an Initial Environmental Assessment (or equivalent) to determine potential environmental aspects and impacts on the premises, processes and products of the organization.
- to understand external and internal problems and stakeholders related to the environment
- to develop an environmental policy - usually a one-page document declaring commitment to environmental sustainability
- to develop a register of environmental aspects and impacts
- develop an Environmental or Management Manual - documenting as much or as little as you want, but usually briefly reviewing the ISO 14001 clauses
- develop procedures - some of them are mandatory for environmental monitoring, in cases where it is necessary
- to develop and control environmental goals and objectives
- to take into account environmental risks and opportunities throughout the business
- to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and consumer requirements
- to ensure that staff is competent and understands the environmental management system
- monitor environmental indicators
- plan emergency response measures and reduce environmental damage
- monitor environmental nonconformities and take measures to eliminate significant or recurring nonconformities
- conduct an internal audit of the environmental management
- system to ensure that top management strategically analyzes the environmental management system.
Advantages of the environmental management system:
- Initial Environmental Review (or equivalent audit)
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Aspects & Impacts Register
- Environmental or Management Manual
- Environmental Management or Improvement Plan (monitoring environmental objectives and targets)
- Registers – for nonconformances and corrective action, and compliance
- Emergency Response Plan.
TQCSI Certification Process:
- demonstrating due diligence, complying with regulatory and customer requirements
- meeting tender
- requirements improving reputation
- marketing advantage
- minimizing risks and reducing the number of environmental incidents
- more efficient use of resources and waste reduction
- lower costs leading to increased profits
- focused and motivated workforce and employee empowerment
- meeting community expectations
- compliance with altruistic and ethical obligations
- easily integrated with other control systems.
- contact your TQCSI Office and ask for a quote or apply on-line - TQCSI will need to know what your business does and how many employees (full time equivalent)
- to prevent delays, don’t wait until your Environmental Management System is fully implemented.